May 15 Press Conference Summary
Current COVID-19 Case Numbers in North Dakota: 1,761 total positive cases, 648 active confirmed cases, 1,071 recovered, 42 deaths
Speakers: Governor Burgum, Nick Hacker - Chair of the State Board of Higher Education
Focus: The importance of testing to slow the spread and open the economy
- Testing is for identifying positives, so we can prevent further spreading the disease. Important for vulnerable populations.
- 20% of our population fit into a category considered vulnerable.
- 14 day rolling average at is 2.4%. Up from 2.3% yesterday
Additional points of note:
- Budget Section approved Emergency Commission actions today
- Guidance for large gatherings at venues Three Phases (Moderate, Low, New Normal) available
- Mail-in voting was already legal in ND. Any county may decide to have polling places. It is a local decision\
- Higher Education graduation ceremonies will take place this weekend for 6,500 college students in ND University System schools. Ceremonies can be found on the institutions’ Facebook pages.
- 2:00 pm May 30 there will be a statewide virtual high school graduation ceremony
Other issues covered: Purpose of focused, targeted testing is to try to find people who may have been exposed, NDDOT has a mobile unit that will be helping tribal members to get ID cards, reduced interaction with friends can impact mental health
Next briefing is Tuesday, May 19 at 3:30 pm.
LINK to view